Friday, March 22, 2013

Anxious Neat Freak

Is It Bad to Be a Neat Freak?

     As I was watching one of my favorite shows this morning, I realized that maybe Danny Tanner wasn't as crazy as he was supposed to be on Full House. Though I'm sure the dad of the Tanner household was supposed to seem Obsessive Compulsive sometimes, probably meant to be a part of his anticipated Post Traumatic Stress from losing his wife to a fatal car accident and being left to raise three young daughters all on his own, I've suddenly realized from watching the episode I did today that Danny wasn't just trying to fill a void in his life with his obsessive cleaning. Watch the clip below so you know what I'm talking about. 






     As you can tell from the above video, it does seem at times that Danny is obsessed with cleaning. But as the character says so himself, he's always been a neat freak, and it has nothing to do with him being a single dad or PTSD. Danny Tanner may have been a little crazy at times, but his cleaning was embedded in his genes. And though he was a fictional television character, we can learn from his example.
     Now don't get me wrong - being a neat freak isn't for everyone. But some need a clean environment for their mental health. A clean living environment reduces stress, and when over-stressed, as I'm sure Danny was at times, it's natural to look for ways to reduce the anxiety. So when Danny's in Karen's apartment after their wonderful date and he finds that her apartment is a pig sty, the stress of the situation, of finding that he's once again dating and unsure of everything, causes him to need to clean. Sure, it's a little embarrassing and creepy for Karen, but Danny finds he needs a clean environment and making that happen reduces his stress.
     What can we learn from Danny Tanner being a neat freak? Though his cleaning seems pretty obsessive sometimes, it's a little like biting nails or chewing gum, neither of which Danny did very often, if at all. Cleaning was his stress-reliever. It just happened to help reduce others' anxieties too, to live in a clean environment.
     I've noticed becoming a little less of a neat freak since I started taking my anti-anxiety medication. I've also reduced the frequency of how often I bite my nails, how often I get sick with colds and stomach viruses, and how often I have my evil hiccups. Reducing the amount of stress in one's life can have multiple positive effects. So cleaning and living in a clean environment in effect can have multiple benefits for you and your family. Being obsessed with cleaning is just a stress-reliever and an unconscious attempt to relieve anxiety. 

     What are your personal habits that you think help to relieve stress? Share in the comments and I'll let you know whether I think they are healthy or signs of an illness that needs attention.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment